Everyone is talking about growth hacking … but what is it?
Well here are some facts!
- It was created by start ups and entrepreneurs as a way to do “marketing” but I really consider it an intersection of product, marketing, and data.
- It is typically low cost alternative to costly ways to get attention
- It is part of an online marketing ecosystem!!!
- Growth Hacking runs on the engine of “content”
- Skills needed are techniques such as search engine optimization, website analytics, content marketing and A/B testing which are already mainstream.
Some examples include:
An early example of “growth hacking” was Hotmail‘s inclusion of “PS I Love You” with a link for others to get the free online mail service. Another example was the offer of more storage by Dropbox to users who referred their friends (these were featured as well in Wikipedia)
One way to learn Growth Hacking, is to do Growth Hacking!
Maybe start simply with a blog! Why a blog? Well, a lot of growth hacking is about content marketing — But don’t let the word “blog” throw you off. “The better you become at creating content, promoting content and sustaining an output of content, the better you’ll be at growth hacking. Start simply on this one! ” Entrepreneur Magazine
To be continued!!!