Today is Christmas Eve! I feel so blessed to have such a great family and friends to celebrate with this great holiday! My daughters asked me what I love about this day — as I am so excited the entire day! Here’s my list!
- Candlelight Service. I love this service where everyone lights a candle and the light is passed around from one to another. Candlelight services are planned to be a way for individuals and groups, large or small, to quietly reflect, pray together, or simply show support for one another.It is one of the most powerful things I remember about Christmas time!
- It’s a Wonderful Life. Yep, it’s just a movie but has a touching message: All of us touch so many people that impacts them forever — whether they know it or not. The film is considered one of the most loved films in American cinema and has become traditional viewing during the Christmas season — especially with my family. We make hot chocolate and all of us gather in front of the fire to watch — and cry at the implications!
- Potato Soup. I love potato soup and before the Candlelight Service we eat potato soup for dinner. I am Lithuanian — born in the US, but my grandparents were from Lithuania. This soup is one of the recipes passed down from my Grandma. It is so warm and delicious — it would not be Christmas Eve without the soup!!
- Staying up to Midnight to prepare the presents from Santa! Yes, we all stay up to prepare the presents under the tree, eat the milk and cookies for Santa, and even the carrots for the reindeer. We tell stories of when I was little, or when my parents were little, and just talk. Even though we are sleepy, it is special for family time with my parents and husband!
- The Season. I wish we all could be as generous and happy all the year long! The spirit abounds throughout the day and night. There is something so special about that holiday smile.
I’d love to know your special traditions on Christmas Eve!
Have a great time.