The New Frontier – Legal Implications of Social! #socbiz #ibmsocialbiz #ls12March 27, 2012
On Saturday, I had a great opportunity to meet Alaine Dollan and gain insight from her session on The Legal Implications of Social!
Some of the key points that I thought we all could learn from:
Policy for Visitors to your site:
- Disclaimer about links
- Intellectual Property Policy
Policies to think for your employees!
- The Social Media Policy (see IBM’s at http://www.ibm.com/blogs/zz/en/guidelines.html)
- Should define your company’s attidue toward social networking
- State employee’s access to social network sites while at work
- State whether employees can identify themselves as reps of the company
- Explain what disclaimers must be used
- Lists types of employees covered by the policy
Social Media Insurance:
- Does your general liability, product liability, professional liability, and commerical property liability cover Social Media incidents?
- Does your social media insurance cover First party, Third party and Personal Injury Claims?
Intellectual Property Infringement:
- The internet is viewed as a lawless zone! However there are rules that should be followed!
- Trademark infringement could happen from uploading designs, trademarks or logos (ask permission for these!)
- Purchase domain names so that you do not “cybersquat”
- Copyright infringement — is your work protected? Is the Use Considered Fair use?
- Do you invite others to post materials on your social media page? Are they protected by copyright?
HINT: Review the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. And the Online Infringement Liability limitation act!
This work that was presented was very very helpful to me! I hope it is helpful to you! The second part of her session was on keywords and linking! Watch for that summary tomororw!