Social Business: Women vs Men on Social “Networking” + TIPS #socbiz #ls11 #getsocial11June 29, 2011
@RODINCoglinMil sent me an article on Women vs Men on LinkedIn. She asked my thoughts about it.The report is from LinkedIn — looking at where Women are great Social Networkers and which industry they are not!
Intersting to me — is that Women ReTweet Men more than women, and Men ReTweet Men more than women!
So the question I pondered, is how do you improve your Networking — both Virutal and In Person!
Tips for Women to More Effectively Network!
- Make Time for it! This is a big difference in men and women. I once asked my male mentor about networking and he said he considered it part of his job. Most women consider it extra credit.
- Select the Right Areas — whether the right LinkedIn Group, or beyond. I think that you cannot do everything. So for instance, I started with 3 LinkedIn groups about Authors but ended up selecting one of value.
- Be interesting! Showcase your compelling self! On LinkedIn, have a great Photo, complete your entire Profile, and make sure you have a great elevator pitch!
- Show interest! Listen to people, ask Questions (you can do this in the Q session on LinkedIn). Join great groups of interest.
- Follow up on the referrals you have been given and cultivate. I recently met a group of 10 fabulous people but knew I couldn’t keep up the same with each. So I prioritzed. While I followed up with all, I dedicated more time and more followups to a select few.
I have to work at networking daily. I try to have lunch out once a month, connect with 10 new people each month, and provide value to 10 people each month either in connecting them to others, providing them information I think will value them, or just in general providing advice!
What do you do? What should we do? I’d like your active conversation.